Total assets of Latvian commercial banks were EUR 25.49 billion as of December 31, 2021. Assets increased by 0.6% or EUR 0.15 billion in the 4th quarter 2021, and they increased by 4% or EUR 0.93 billion in the last 12 months period.
The value of assets exceeded EUR 25 billion in 2021 and reached the largest value since 2018.
The value of total assets was EUR 31.94 billion at the end of 2015, it had negative trend since 2016. Main reasons for assets’ decrease were the change of strategy for some of the universal banks, change of business models for specialized financial service providers, optimization of capital expenses, as well as the license withdrawal of ABLV Bank. The value has decreased by 20% or EUR 6.45 billion since 2015.
Total equity was EUR 3.08 billion as of December 31, 2021. Total capital decreased by 0.9% or EUR 0.03 billion in the 4th quarter 2021, but it increased by 5% or EUR 0.15 billion in the last 12 months period.
The largest capital value was reached in 2015, it was EUR 3.33 billion. Since then total capital has decreased by 7% or EUR 0.25 billion.
Total loan portfolio of Latvian commercial banks was EUR 14.42 billion as of December 31, 2021.The portfolio increased by 1.2% or EUR 0.17 billion in the 4th quarter 2021, and it increased by 11% or EUR 1.47 billion in the last 12 months period.
The increase was observed in the loans to corporate customers and private persons. Loans to corporate customers increased by 12%, and loans to private persons increased by 8% in the last 12 months period.
Loans to companies make 57% of total loan portfolio, they are EUR 8.28 billion EUR.
Total deposits of the Latvian banking sector were EUR 20.01 billion as of December 31, 2021, they reached the largest value since 2018. The value increased by 3% or EUR 0.57 billion in the 4th quarter 2021. Deposits increased by 7% or EUR 1.35 billion in the last 12 months period.
The increase was observed in deposits of corporate customers and private persons. Deposits of corporate customers increased by 5% and deposits of private persons increased by 11% in the last 12 months period. Deposits of private persons make 57% of total deposits portfolio.
Short-term deposits make 89% from total deposit volume, remaining 11% are long-term deposits.
Total profit of banks in Latvia in 2021 increased by 81% or EUR 118 million compared to the results of 2020.
TOP 5 most profitable Finance Latvia Association member banks in 2021:
Data source of banking industry: the Bank of Latvia, monthly reports of monetary financial institutions in Latvia.
[accordion id=” 2017″]